ADDRESS OF THE VICE-CHANCELLOR PROFESSOR IBIYEMI IBILOLA OLATUNJI-BELLO, mni AT THE 25TH CONVOCATION CEREMONY OF THE LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY FOR THE AWARD OF DOCTORATE DEGREES (Ph.D.), CONFERMENT OF HONOURARY DOCTORATE DEGREE AND EMERITUS PROFESSORSHIP ON THURSDAY, 24TH MARCH, 2022 AT THE BUBA MARWA AUDITORIUM.
Mr. Governor Sir, I hereby seek your indulgence to stand on the already well established protocol
- Governor Sir, the Governor of Lagos State and Visitor, Lagos State University, Mr. Babajide Olusola SANWO-OLU
- His Excellency, Rt. Honourable Aminu Bello MASARI, Governor of Katsina State and Chairman, Convocation Lecture
- His Excellency, Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum, the Governor of Borno State
- His Excellency, Dr. Abdullahi Umar GANDUJE, Governor of Kano State
- The Convocation Lecturer and former Governor of Lagos State, His Excellency Asiwaju Bola Ahmed TINUBU
- The Deputy Governor, Lagos State, His Excellency, Dr. Kadri Obafemi HAMZAT
- The Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Rt. Honourable Mudashiru OBASA and by extension all Honourable Members of the State House of Assembly here present
- The Chief Judge of Lagos State, Honourable Justice Kazeem ALOGBA
- The Chancellor, Lagos State University, Prof. Gbolahan Elias, SAN
- Our Royal Majesties, Highnesses and High Chiefs here present
- Secretary to the State Government, Mrs. Sherifat Folashade JAJI
- Head of Service, Lagos State Government – Mr. Hakeem Muri OKUNOLA and the Body of Permanent Secretaries of Lagos State
- Chief of Staff, Lagos State Government, Mr. Tayo Akinmade Ayinde
- Members of the State Executive Council here present
- Special Adviser to the Governor of Lagos State on Education, Hon. Tokunboh WAHAB and other Special Advisers here present
- Chairman of Statutory Commissions here present
- Chairman, Lagos State University Governing Council and Other Members of the Governing Council
- Chairmen of Local Governments and Local Council Development
Area here present
- Heads of other Tertiary Institutions here present
- Principal Officers of the Lagos State University
- Distinguished Professor Peter OKEBUKOLA
- Members of the University Senate
- Top Government Functionaries and Heads of Ministerial Agencies
- Ag. Provost, Deans of Schools and Faculties
- 25. Directors of Non-Teaching Centres and Directorates
- 26. Religious/Community Leaders
- 27. Iyaloja and members of Market Men and Women Associations
- Chairman, Nigeria Labour Congress, Lagos State Council –
Chief Mrs. Funmi Sessi
- Chairmen and Members of Staff Unions
- The President, Lagos State University Students’ Union and
members of his exco
- Staff and Our World Class Students of the University
- Gentlemen of the Press
- Ladies and Gentlemen
On behalf of the Chancellor, the Pro Chancellor and members of our Governing Council, members of Senate, Principal Officers and other members of our University Community, I heartily welcome our distinguished guests, family members, Alumni and World Class graduating students to the grand finale of the 25th Convocation ceremonies
I am grateful to God for the opportunity that I have to address this honourable gathering on this special occasion in the life of our great University. I am equally delighted that this is the first Convocation Ceremony I will preside over since I took over the mantle of leadership of this great University, six months ago. As it is the tradition, the University shall award Doctorate Degrees, Confer Honorary Doctorate Degrees on deserving individuals and the rank of Emeritus Professor the first in the history of the University.
This Convocation Ceremony also affords us the opportunity to inform this honourable gathering about our Vision, Strategic Goals and Achievements in the last six (6) months.
Our Vision is to make the Lagos State University the Best in West Africa with the highest and finest level of academic and research standard. This is not an illusion or wishful thinking. We have what it takes to translate this Vision into a reality and we are committed to this course.
Our strategic goals towards achieving our Vision are:
- Ensuring that academic and professional programmes are and remained accredited by the relevant bodies;
- Making the Lagos State University a research, innovation and development hub for Lagos State and National development;
- Ensuring that infrastructural facilities are improved upon and readily available for seamless performance of administrative and academic duties;
- Improving Internal Generation of Revenue with the aim of achieving financial sustainability of the University;
- Promoting the welfare of all staff and students in the University; AND
- Promoting participation in Sports and Recreational Activities.
These strategic points have been guiding our activities in the university and to the glory of God, we have made some modest achievements within the last six months, some of which are highlighted as follows:
- We have secured approval to establish three new Faculties and one (1) school namely:
- Faculty of Allied Health Sciences;
- Faculty of Pharmacy;
- Faculty of Environmental Sciences and
- School of Library, Archieval and Information Science
- Maintained and secured collaboration with top institutions within and outside Nigeria, including Cornell University, USA, Delta State University and Gombe State University.
- organized a research ethics workshop for all interested academic staff
- We are also investing massively in infrastructural facilities of the University. To this effect, we have
- revamped the LASU printing press,
- renovated the offices of academic and non-academic staff,
- we are renovating Epe campus,
- facilitated the deployment of internet across the campuses and plans are underway to improve more of our facilities.
- We have fully equipped our classrooms with state of arts equipment;
- We have ensured that there is access to proper welfare packages including:
- payment of salaries on or before 23rd of each month,
- introduced free medical check-up for every staff on his or her birthdays,
- Activated the Lagos State Health Scheme in the University;
- Ensured prompt payment of 30% of basic salary as end of year 2021 bonus as directed by the State Government amongst others.
- Commenced the Part-Time programme;
- Facilitated the completion and commissioning of the Students ‘Union Arcade and the provision of two buses for the Union; from the State Government
- Under our leadership, several of our staff have secured appointments in top establishments in Nigeria
- we are currently upgrading our sport facilities in LASU and we have the goal to host international competitions on our campus in the not too distant future.
- Motivated by the knowledge that every 21st Century University depends on a robust and functional ICT, we have empowered and funded our Directorate of ICT to come up with creative solutions. That repose of confidence birthed the upgrade of our certificate to one embedded with an Instant Verification Feature, with which individuals and organisations can verify the authenticity of a LASU certificate immediately, from anywhere in the world. I believe we are the first university in Nigeria to create this innovation.
- In addition to this, we also have other achievements in the area of ICT, which includes:
- Installation of Plagiarism checker in the University;
- Installation of Remote Lecture room, lecture recording studios and smart classrooms;
- Installation of thesis repository management centre;
- Commencement of automation of Issuance of matriculation number;
- Commencement of online clearance and result uploading portal all in Postgraduate School;
- Introduction of digital forensic training with participants from multinationals and other sectors;
- Introduction of a course in cyber policing;
- Introduction of Senate decision extracts management system;
- Introduction of e-Senate and Senate file management with access for all members;
- Automation of all diploma programmes with result portal;
- Digitalization of all University’s records from 1985 – 2015;
- Signed MOU with Delta State University on ICT Solutions
- There shall be a proper winding up of LASU External System by August 31st, 2022 with a process that commences on April 1st, 2022. This process will be with flexible make-up exams for students that have outstanding courses. Further information on this will be released in due course.
- Commencement of construction of Technology hub for staff and students of the University by the Lagos State Government
- Commencement of the construction of blocks of toilets across Faculties in the University
- Commencement of construction of 800 seater lecture Hal sponsored by Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila, Speaker Federal House of Representatives
- Commissioning of the Primary Health Care Centre donated by Office of the Senor Special Assistant to the President (SDG)
I must emphasize that with the support we are getting from the Lagos State Government, the Chancellor, Council, Senate, Staff and students, we will deliver our mandate.
As we graduate new set of students today, we can confidently assert that our graduands are repositories of knowledge, imbued with the right ethics and requisite intellectual capacity required for the much needed personal and societal development in the 21st century. The total number of Ph.Ds to be awarded today is 76.
The University will be conferring Honorary Degrees on Five distinguished personalities as follows:
- His Excellency, Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum, the Governor of Borno State
- His Excellency, Dr. Abdullahi Umar GANDUJE, OFR, Governor of Kano State
- Mr Goodie Ibru, OON;
- Abike Dabiri-Erewa; and
- Mrs Ibukun Awosika
I therefore congratulate them on this worthy award.
To Distinguished Professor Peter Akinsola OKEBUKOLA, (OFR) the conferment of the rank of Professor Emeritus on you today is our modest way of appreciating all you have done and still doing for us at the Lagos State University, as well as your contributions to other Universities in Nigeria and the world.
At this juncture, I must acknowledge and commend those whose concerted efforts have culminated into the success we are gathered here to celebrate today. I want to appreciate the Visitor to the University and Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, the Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly Rt. Honourable Mudashiru Obasa and other Special Advisers and particularly Special Adviser on Education Barr. Tokunbo Wahab, the Secretary to the State Government and other Commissioners for your immense support for the Lagos State University. We appreciate our Convocation Lecturer, His Excellency, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed TINUBU, for his immeasurable support of the University and your immense contributions to the growth, development and history of Lagos, Nigeria, Africa and the world in general. Am particularly glad to announce Asiwaju donation of a Centre for Leadership and Development worth 1Billion Naira in Lagos State University.
We equally appreciate his Excellency, Chairman of the Convocation Lecture, Alhaji Aminu MASARI, the Governor of Katsina for gracing this occasion with his presence.
Our Chancellor, Professor Gbolahan Elias, SAN, your passion for Lagos State University is infectious and we are grateful for the selfless service. How best can I describe the distinguished men and women who constitute the University Governing Council headed by Sir David Sunmoni. These distinguished members exert the same level of diligence and commitment to the business of the University as they would do to their personal enterprises, striving at all time to ensure LASU’s development. I also appreciate the University Management, Senate, Academic and Non-Academic members of staff and our Staff Unions for their zeal, innovation, steadfastness and commitment towards the LASU project.
Our benefactors have contributed in no small measure to the progress of the Lagos State University and we are most grateful to you all. We recognise your contributions and would be continually honoured to have you as partners in progress.
Gentlemen of the press, you have been our partners in progress and we appreciate the good works you are doing particularly with regards to your positive reportage of our activities as an Institution.
Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, notwithstanding our modest achievements, the Lagos State University is still in dire need of assistance. We welcome your support and promise that the endowments will be put to the best of use for the development of our University and the Society.
Your Excellences, our esteemed guests, ladies and gentlemen, I thank you all for your attention.
We are LASU, We are Great.
Professor Ibiyemi I. OLATUNJI-BELLO, mni
Vice Chancellor, Lagos State University
Thursday, 24th March, 2022